Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thinking of you guys

I am so sorry to hear that there has been another round of layoffs at Wieland. I am thinking of all of you and know that you are probably struggling with stress and adjustment anxiety right this moment. I can promise you that things will get better. From talking with people who were let go in previous layoffs I hear that most are doing fine and pretty relieved that the "homebuilding crisis" is part of their past and not their future.

Your reactions will differ depending on how many layoffs/downsizings you have been through in your career. Overall going through the loss of a job is described as working through a grief process. This is certainly true for those of you who have invested many years in the company. Attending meetings of the jobs ministry at my church I heard a counselor say that " The size of the impact this event has on your life will be directly related to your perceptions of the size of the event". Basically, after the shock wears off, if you perceive it to be the end of the world it will have much greater impact on you than if you perceive it as a problem to be solved and go about solving it.

I have an excellent package of information from that particular workshop and will be happy to forward to anyone who emails me with a request. It is simply too large to post on the blog.

Those of us who have already gone through this are thinking of you and wish you all the best.

Please read back the older posts archived at the bottom of the blog. There is some good information re: an Outplacement firm, tax writeoffs for job seekers and Behavioral Interviewing. A lot of you will have to go through Behavioral Interview phone screens to get in the door for an interview and practicing through these questions will help.

Please contact me if I can be of any assistance. You are all bright, capable, motivated people and candidates like you are always in demand!! ALWAYS!

No comments: